Job Hunting Tips
On this page, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite tips to help speed your job hunt to a successful conclusion. Videos and short articles will be added weekly, so check back often to get the latest and greatest job hunt advice!
Arnie Fertig, MPA
5 Keys to Interview Preparation
- Ask yourself why this position makes sense for you at this point in time.
- Be prepared to talk the employer’s products and services and how you identify with the company’s mission.
- Be prepared to elaborate on any point you have listed on your resume.
- Practice, practice and practice your answers.
- Think about your posture, handshake, and physical appearance.
4 Tips for a Great Cover Letter
- Don’t claim you are the best candidate. Instead, show your stuff and let the reader come to that conclusion.
- Demonstrate why you are the answer to the employer’s dream.
- Show how your resume reflects the position description.
- Share your passion for the kind of work you want to do.
How To Get on a Recruiter’s Radar
- Make sure that you have a fully completed LinkedIn profile, including dates, accomplishment, skills, education and a solid summary.
- Review your entire social media presence and be sure to scrub anything that might seem inappropriate to anyone – everywhere.
- Attend relevant professional conferences, conventions and other gatherings.
- Don’t declare yourself to be looking for new employment opportunities.
How To Use LinkedIn For Your Job Search
- Remember the first networking principle: “Give to get”! Don’t treat everyone online as if they are only there to help you get a job.
- Continually build your network.
- Get past gatekeepers with InMail.
- Look for “hidden” jobs in LinkedIn’s many Groups.
- Research target companies and people for background information and to find commonalities.